Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 License.

Monday, June 05, 2006

Blog Disclosure

Much recently has been made of trust, or the lack thereof, when it is revealed that someone has blogged or created buzz without disclosing that there was a financial incentive to do so.

Jeff Jarvis wrote on this today.

Seth Godin had this on December 20, 2004.

There are likely many others. These two happen to be ones I read regularly and whose references were handy.

I have taken Seth's statement and reworked it for my own situation:

This blog doesn't accept ads or sponsorships.

I don't own stock or ccept royalties from any company or product mentioned on this blog.

I don't serve on any boards.

If the occasion were to come up, I would consider accepting samples of stuff with a nominal value (under $20 or so).

I will tell you that there is no correlation between mentioning stuff and whether or not someone sent it to me.

I write about what I find interesting and I think will interest you as a reader.

My goal in creating this blog is to share my ideas and hopefully create a conversation that will generate something more than we each started with.

My success will be determined by your readership (or lack thereof).

I consider myself an amateur writer, a professional learner.

If anything changes with what I have said here, I will let you know. I promise.



A similar version (actually the original) of this is posted here.

Labels: ,

Comments on "Blog Disclosure"

 

Blogger Mr Besilly said ... (9:22 PM) : 

I think that this is honorable indeed. I am a big Seth Godin fan. Your re-working of this statement puts me at ease. I have had so many people ask me if I'm placing ads on my blog site. That is not my goal but rather to spread my own voice out to an ever widening web community.
Thank you for setting a standard here with full disclosure. It's not wrong to go for the gold as long as that also is obvious and put up front. Nice work!
Mr. Besilly

 

Blogger Steve Sherlock said ... (8:35 PM) : 

Thanks for your kind comments. I too admire Seth and much of what he says is good to think about if not to follow directly.

 

Blogger Mr Besilly said ... (11:27 PM) : 

Seth Godin's blog is one for the thinking kind.

My pleasure Steve.

 

post a comment