Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 License.

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

The only reason to blog

... now my motto is, "the only reason to blog is the change the world." Every post must display one of my key points of view (Less information is more, Love is the breakthrough solutions for relationships, etc.) and then make a suggestion to the reader (read this book, do this, stop doing that). If I change your mind or your behavior, I've successfully blogged you.
From Tim Sanders writing at Sanders Says.

I like Tim. I have read his book, heard him speak, but I disagree with him on this one. The other valid reason to blog is to make connections and learn from each other through conversations.

What do you think?


My review of Love is the Killer App.

Labels: , , ,

Comments on "The only reason to blog"

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:17 PM) : 

I agree with you Steve. Connecting and learning are worthy outcomes.

For me, changing other people is not a goal. I hope to influence, to leave some positive imprint, to spark a creative thought.

I tend to believe that the only one capable of changing one's mind or behavior is one's self.

 

Blogger Steve Sherlock said ... (9:29 PM) : 

Blaine, I totally agree on this with you! We can influence, we can mentor, we can provide a good model... but the change has to be by themselves for themselves.

Thanks for chiming in.

 

Blogger Rosa Say said ... (12:54 PM) : 

Good thoughts. Well said Blaine.

I haven't read Sanders entire post, however within this context the quote you've selected seems more disclosure than opinion for him; he says, "now my motto is..."

With the community building we do our best to achieve on JJL, you know that I heartily agree with both of you. That said, the longer I blog on JJL and my own sites, the more I remind myself that both bloggers and readers will always have their own motivations, and the best I can do is keep the welcome mat out for when they themselves are ready to engage. We give aloha to the silent but faithful too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:08 PM) : 

I think Blaine, Steve and Rosa are all correct. There is an outcome (not a navel gazing) to this blog and the contributions to the bigger conversation. These connections change the world. The knowledged shared through this blog changes the world. Tell me what www.perezhilton.com accomplishes.

A simple, but unconventional idea shared can change the world.

Steve -- Thanks for your support of my book and I hope my note here helps to clarify my belief that we must put our efforts into making a difference -- not making noise.

Your blog, and this community, makes a profound diffference.

Tim Sanders -- www.sanderssays.com

 

Blogger Steve Sherlock said ... (7:56 PM) : 

Tim, thanks for stopping by. Indeed making the connections is key. The web allows so many more connections to be made than would have been possible before. Change sometimes comes slowly, sometimes comes quickly but can not come unless there is a connection!

There is hope that we can make a difference. The difference will last longer than noise!

 

post a comment