Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 License.

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Introducing sherku (part 2)

I introduced sherku earlier and need to respond to an inquiring mind. Instead of burying my response in a comment (which I did) I also decided that there might be value to put it out in the open as well.

The question was:
Well, I'm not good at poetry. Not to mention haiku. But, really, will you write more in-depth about this sherku of yours -- and how it related with haiku -- for a very novice kinda guy? I'd like to learn about it.

The initial answer is:
Well, it is somewhat "tongue in cheek" but very much like haiku. It differs in that is my spin on creation. I add my "2 cents worth" to it. I follow the standard form and convention somewhat and deviate as necessary.

For example, while convention calls for 17 syllables, I prefer to recommend 19. Why 19? Well, 17 is confining, 19 provides more (recall 2 cents). 19 is also a number from a card game called "Cribbage" where 19 is an impossible score to achieve. Trying to condense a feeling, an image to some number (19 in this case) is an impossible task (recall Cribbage score) to try but try we must. Or as Yoda says: "Do, or not do, there is no 'try'".


As I discover the words to explain additional features of sherku, I'll continue to post them here.


The audio version of this is here.
The listing of available sherku can be found here.



Technorati Tags : , ,, , ,

Labels: ,

Comments on "Introducing sherku (part 2)"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:16 AM) : 

Okay, the true extent of my considerable geekdom is showing, but Yoda said:

"Do. Or do not. There is no try."

http://www.mtannoyances.com/upload/try.wav

 

Blogger Steve Sherlock said ... (10:45 AM) : 

Thanks, EM. Another plus for sherku I realized today is that you don't need a full size notebook to write them. An index card is the perfect size!

 

post a comment