Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 License.

Saturday, October 07, 2006

Poets on Poetry: Kurtis Lamkin

These are my notes from the "Poets on Poetry" session where Kurtis Lamkin opened the Dodge Poetry Festival on Thursday morning.
The power of words, the magic comes out of your being, to be put into someone elses' head. Feedback is important. When the poems go out there, the poet needs to know how they knock around in someone's head.
 
A good line from "Foxes Manifesto" - "believing is all a child does for a living"
 
Kurtis closed the session with a performance of "Jump Mama" which made my day. It is a wonderful story of coming "heavy home" and getting the child within awakened. The story, the setting, the jump rope chant, all put together is purely magical.
 
He reads with no paper, no book. They are all memorized poems. I was going to ask him how many he knows and I answered my own question. He knows them all; the finished ones and the ones that are not yet finished.
 
 
Technorati Tags : , ,
Powered By Qumana

Comments on "Poets on Poetry: Kurtis Lamkin"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:12 PM) : 

I have experienced the artistry that is Mr. Lamkin. His "Jump Mama" removes, for a time the "heavy" of just being an adult. His craftmanship with words transends the mundane and transports the reader and listener to a higher, better state of being. To say I enjoyed it would be an obvious understatement.

 

Blogger Steve Sherlock said ... (10:39 AM) : 

I thoroughly agree with you. I had experienced Jump Mama on the PBS series with Bill Moyers but to be there in person is SO much better. He did it twice (that I heard) during this Festival and it as great both times and slightly different each time due to the crowd reaction/participation.

Truly a moving experience!

 

post a comment